Translate

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Iron Man

I remember way back in 1993 when I picked up my first Iron man comic from a supermarket, I went home in a rush and started flipping through the pages of the hero who wore a metallic suit with colors like hot rod red and yellow. Just like its counterpart, Marvel had introduced a lot of heroes to the Marvel universe and now finally we see a movie version of the hero in the IRON suit. The movie according to many reviews I have read, and agreed with, is closest to the character of Iron Man you can get. The suit looks like it is just out of the comic books, the scenery and the tone of the movie is just perfect.
Even though I m not a Marvel fan, I still read comics of the character that I like. (so I m not a dedicated DC fan, shoot me). Over the years of enjoying cinematic pieces, this is the third time I m able to enjoy a movie that has stayed true to its, comic roots you can say.

Spoiler:
The movie starts off with the natives of Afghanistan taking Toney Stark (Robert Downey Jr) hostage and are asking to build the Jericho missile (shown in the trailers). Stark builds a suit that enables him to punch through walls and escape (with the spectacular flame thrower) and return to his home. There on the story takes place with Stark realizing what he had been doing, being the merchant of death, and plans to rid the people who took him hostage off the weapons that he had been building for the US Military.
Stark is assisted in this task by his personal AI named Jarvis, which he had built and which controls his house. There are a number of scenes that show Stark doing some tests on his suits (before it is put together) like his rocket boosters in the boots and in the palms of his suit. All this while after his escape the Afghanis are piecing together the suit that Stark had left in the desert after this escape. Obadiah Stane (Jeff Bridges) is shown as the guy who had assisted Stark’s dad when he was alive and helps the young Stark with his fathers business. Stane later is shown as the guy who had planned the kidnapping and murder of Stark, because the plan had failed Stane kills the Afghanis, and takes the suit from them and builds a bigger version for himself. Both the men battle atop the roof of Stark Industries in the finally.
The movie ends with a secret group that had an alibi ready for Stark because the media had been accusing him of being Iron Man. The final words in the movie was Tony Stark admitting “I m Iron Man”.

When I first heard of the director Jon Favreau, I was like ok this is a new director for me, and I didn’t know which movies he had made. But it so turned out I saw a number of his movies and I really liked them. Robert Downey JR is by far the best choice for Tony Stark for any director, he has the charisma and the talent to fit into roles like gloves. Gwyneth Paltrow did a good job also but the role was very short for an actress of her talent (unless they are planning more for her in the sequel). Terence Howard and Jeff Bridges were just right also, I did hear that Howards character will have a bigger role in the sequels, and as for Bridges, well he is an actor in his own class. All in all the movie can be rated as an 9/10 overall. Good work Favreau, I just hope Marvel gives you the reins of the sequel.

Also: I was told that Nick Fury makes a cameo in this movie right in the end, scolding Stark for this action and inform him of the Avenger Initiative. I didn’t sit till the end of the credits but I should be able to catch Nick Fury in the DVD’s once it gets released.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This flick was all about A-T-T-I-T-U-D-E.

Kick-butt attitude from Tony Stark in true-blue American style and tradition. Loved it.